17.10.11

A Scene On The Train

A Scene On The Train

From reality:


Woman sits down on the train
Next to a somewhat shabbily dressed man
Drinking what is probably spiked Pepsi
He says something

Woman:  What?
Man:  Oh, I wasn't talking you.
Woman:  Oh, okay.

::pause::

Man: Does that phone have a radio?
Woman: No, it doesn't.
Man:  Spare change?
Woman:  No, I don't really carry much hard currency these days.  Maybe I should.  No, I don't have any change right now. 

Man: You know somebody might steal it.  Somebody might take that (the phone) - what's that…300 dollars?
Woman:  No, not that much.
Man:  You know, some gangsters might take that, sell it in a pawn shop?
Woman:  Gangsters?
Man: Yeah, black kids'll steal it and sell it. (the man is black)
Woman: I'm not worried about that.  Even without the phone, I'll be all right.

::pause::

Man: Does your boyfriend tell you you're pretty?
Woman:  Yes.
Man: That's good because you're a good-looking woman.
Woman:  Thank you. 

::pause::

Woman:  You know, there's more to life than looking good.
Man:  Oh I know, you can be ugly and pretty at the same time.
Woman:  Yes, I suppose that's true.

::pause::

Man:  I like this conversation.
Woman:  Yes, it's good to talk.
Man:  Thank you.  Thank you for your time.
Woman:  You're welcome.

::pause::

Man:  I've enjoyed this conversation.  Can I ask you one more question?
Woman:  Sure, what's that?
Man:  Have you ever been to the Plum Island shelter. 
Woman:  No, is that where you're going?
Man:  No.

Train begins slows to a halt and the woman gets up to disembark.

Man:  Well, tell your wife -- I mean --
Woman laughs.
Man:  Husband -- no, boyfriend --
Woman and Man both laugh.

The train doors open.  Man holds up his hand and they bump fists.

Woman:  Take care of yourself.

Woman exits the train.

. . .