8.10.11

On The Soapbox // Food For Thought




I felt the urge to speak at the Occupy Boston general assembly in Dewey Square, so I did.  It was toward the end - when individuals make various statements.  It was late.  And people, including myself, were tired.  Honestly, I feel like I've overdosed now.  But I'm glad I went down there and enjoyed the atmosphere for a while today, and I'm glad I said something.  What I said seemed to receive a mixed response, and here it is:


In keeping with solidarity and the betterment of our great society, we recognize that we need all 100% to grow and to progess.  The mentality of us versus them will only get us so far.  As the Dalai Lama has said, and he has a lot of good things to say:  Anger is a poison you drink hoping it will hurt the other person. 

Let us not allow ourselves to get caught up in victimization, for there is great joy here tonight.  May everyone be invited to the party. 

I would urge us to continue to strive for awareness, ethics, rationality and communication.  This is happening.  The very existence of these gatherings, these discussions, is an accomplishment, and no less than a shift in collective consciousness, a reformation of values.  

So let us not get too caught up in vitriol, for malice begets malice.  Let us heed the inclusive message of Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Let us not be divided, by possessions, or define ourselves by possessions.  For look at us now, now this is wealth.  Ultimately, nobody defines your life except you. 

Let us decry the actions and call for reform, but remain non-violent. 

Love and compassion are not luxuries, they are necessities for human survival.  So said, again, the Dalai Lama.  He said:  Kindness is my religion.  So let us continue to be kind.  Let us strive to be 100%. 

Our very presence and participation is significant.  We are all human, we are all imperfect and we all have a place. 

........................