9.10.11

The Difference A Day Makes

During the Dewey Square general assembly I attended - the night of Saturday, October 8th - we passed the "Memorandum of Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples."   

Though, I've heard quite a few people say - and I understand - that piling on additional causes is "divisive and confusing," that it's important to stay focused on the unifying issue of Wall Street/economic reform in order to effect actual change in Washington. 

But I love that people are down there talking about how to build a better society and drawing attention to other important issues also.  

The assembly was cooperative, though it requires much patience.  Here's the proposal process:  Person will make a proposal // Clarifying questions // Points of information // Strong concerns and objections // Friendly Amendments // Proposer will decide what to adopt and modify // Repeat steps 2-4 // Vote // Ask for blocks. 

One proposal was withdrawn or "tabled" by the proposer after others' questions and input. 

And later, I admit it felt good to be able to take the microphone and express myself, and to hear others, having felt for some time misrepresented.  Now I'd revise my statement (see previous post), but I suppose catharsis is part of the process.  I shouldn't let go of idealism and poetry, but it's also important to stay on planet Earth.  The anger that wakes us out of a stupor, that motivates constructive action is useful.  The anger that clouds rational thinking and causes destruction is not.  

Having said that, I believe one significant motivation for camping out or hanging out at Dewey Square is:  Community. 
I'd like to continue involvement in public discourse, from a humble, grounded and well-rested standpoint.  A taste of "direct democracy" has encouraged me to clear away mental limitations I've placed on myself, and others.